Monday, June 24, 2013

A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum

Directed by Richard Lester. Written by Melvin Frank (screenplay), Michael Pertwee (screenplay), Burt Shevelove (book), Larry Gelbart (book) and Titus Maccius Plautus (based on a play by). Starring Zero Mostel (Pseudolus), Phil Silvers (Marcus Lycus), Buster Keaton (Erronius).

Bottom line: Bawdy. Really Bawdy. It made me laugh here and there so what more do I want from a 60's comedy?
2.5/4

Just the other day, I was watching Bridesmaids with my fiancée. We were both not only disappointed but our thirst for comedy was not quenched. I spoke to my mom later on the phone and she suggested A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum. She had seen the Broadway adaptation Nathan Lane. Granted, this was starring Buster Keaton but she said the play was funny albeit bawdy. 'Bawdy' is an understatement. That should be this movie's tagline but this was the sixties, after all, so you can let it pass.

It begins with a musical establishment of the main players with a chorus of “tragedy tomorrow, comedy tonight.” The story largely follows Erronius, 'the worst slave in the world'. His owner's son, Hero (Crawford), promises Erronius freedom if the beautiful slave girl next door can be brought (or bought) to marry Hero. To give you an idea of this movie, the slave girl, Phillia (Andre) sings, "I cannot read or write...I am just lovely..." and it is A-Okay with the movie. It is the type of situation and movie that makes me laugh because it is so bad. But that’s the idea…right?

In fact, there isn't too too much more I have to say about it. I mean, it made me laugh. It was crude, rude and vulgar but it achieved what it set out to do. I am more a fan of Nathan Lane than Buster Keaton, largely thanks to The Birdcage, and perhaps, because I have not seen that much Buster Keaton. They have a similar style: fast, glib and provocative.

Would I recommend this? Sure. It is good for a quick, cheap laugh on a late weekend night.

No comments:

Post a Comment