Sunday, January 11, 2015

2015 Golden Globe Picks!


Tonight is the 2015 Golden Globe Awards Ceremony!
Here is a list of my picks for the winners. I ought to note that I haven't seen the majority of these movies so I'm going on the very little information that I've heard and what little I know about the movies. That's just a disclaimer just in case I'm totally off. I'm also just going to comment on the movies.

Best Motion Picture, Drama
  • Boyhood - My Pick, Won
  • Foxcatcher
  • The Imitation Game
  • Selma
  • The Theory of Everything

My pick: Boyhood. It's a feat in filmmaking and it's getting 100% on Metacritic, which is incredible.

Best Actress in a Motion Picture, Drama
  • Julianne Moore (Still Alice) -  My Pick, Won
  • Rosamund Pike (Gone Girl)
  • Reese Witherspoon (Wild)
  • Felicity Jones (The Theory of Everything)
  • Jennifer Aniston (Cake)

My pick: Julianne Moore. I was going to say Rosamund Pike or Felicity Jones but, after looking at their previous work, I'm going to go with Moore. I have heard more positive things about The Theory of Everything than Gone Girl and I haven't heard much at all about Still Alice but we'll see.

Best Actor in a Motion Picture, Drama
  • Eddie Redmayne (The Theory of Everything) - My Pick, Won
  • Steve Carell (Foxcatcher)
  • Benedict Cumberbatch (The Imitation Game)
  • David Oyelowo (Selma)
  • Jake Gyllenhaal (Nightcrawler)

My pick: Eddie Redmayne. I have heard great things about Redmayne's performance. Steve Carell? Nah. Benedict Cumberbatch or Jake Gyllenhall? Not this time. I haven't heard that much about Selma to pick David Oyelowo.

Best Motion Picture, Musical or Comedy
  • Into The Woods
  • Birdman
  • The Grand Budapest Hotel - My Pick, Won
  • St. Vincent
  • Pride

My pick: The Grand Budapest Hotel. I loved it…although I've heard a lot of really great things about Birdman.

Best Actress In A Motion Picture, Musical or Comedy
  • Julianne Moore (Maps To The Stars)
  • Amy Adams (Big Eyes) - My Pick, Won
  • Emily Blunt (Into The Woods)
  • Helen Mirren (The Hundred Foot Journey)
  • Quvenzhané Wallis (Annie)

My pick: I think it will come down to Amy Adams or Emily Blunt. I love their performances in Big Eyes and Into the Woods, respectively. I'm going to go with Amy Adams.

Best Actor in a Motion Picture, Musical or Comedy
  • Michael Keaton (Birdman) - My Pick, Won
  • Bill Murray (St. Vincent)
  • Ralph Fiennes (The Grand Budapest Hotel)
  • Christoph Waltz (Big Eyes)
  • Joaquin Phoenix (Inherent Vice)

My pick: I'm going to go with Michael Keaton in Birdman. I loved Ralph Fiennes but I don't think the role in The Grand Budapest Hotel quite has all the variety to push him to victory.

Best Animated Feature Film
  • The Lego Movie - My Kinda Pick
  • How To Train Your Dragon 2 - Won
  • Big Hero 6 - My Kinda Pick
  • The Book of Life
  • The Boxtrolls

My pick: I suspect it will be either The Lego Movie or Big Hero 6. My goodness The Boxtrolls had better not win. I wrote a post about it, if you are interested.

Edit: In retrospect, I realize that I didn't actually make a pick. I suppose it was more an anti-pick against The Boxtrolls.

Best Foreign Language Film
  • Ida - My Pick
  • Force Majeure
  • Gett: The Trial of Viviane Amsalem
  • Tangerines
  • Leviathan - Won

My pick: I bet it comes down to the WWII Ida or the more currently topical Force Majeure. I'm putting my money on Ida. On another note, are the Best Foreign Language Films always so serious? We've got a WWII movie set in Poland, a woman trying to escape a destructive marriage, the war in Georgia, and corruption. Sheesh. Not that I'm criticizing serious topics or anything, I wonder if it's an indication that the only way a foreign movie might be considered "the best" would be to take the serious route. I think I will go check out previous nominees to see.

Best Supporting Actress in a Motion Picture
  • Jessica Chastain (A Most Violent Year)
  • Keira Knightley (The Imitation Game)
  • Patricia Arquette (Boyhood) - Won
  • Meryl Streep (Into The Woods) - My Pick
  • Emma Stone (Birdman)

My pick: Meryl Streep. She was wonderful and then there's always the fact that she is Meryl Streep. 

Best Supporting Actor in a Motion Picture
  • Ethan Hawke (Boyhood) - My Pick
  • Robert Duvall (The Judge)
  • Edward Norton (Birdman)
  • J.K. Simmons (Whiplash) - Won
  • Mark Ruffalo (Foxcatcher)

My pick: I'm thinking Ethan Hawke because Boyhood is allegedly so great and he isn't competing with Meryl Streep. 

Best Director - Motion Picture
  • Ava DuVernay (Selma)
  • Wes Anderson (The Grand Budapest Hotel)
  • Alejandro González Iñárritu (Birdman)
  • David Fincher (Gone Girl)
  • Richard Linklater (Boyhood) - My Pick, Won

My pick: Richard Linklater because of the orchestration required for Boyhood.

Best Screenplay - Motion Picture
  • Wes Anderson (The Grand Budapest Hotel)
  • Gillian Flynn (Gone Girl)
  • Alejandro González Iñárritu, Nicolás Giacobone, Alexander Dinelaris and Armando Bo (Birdman) - Won
  • Richard Linklater (Boyhood) - My Pick
  • Graham Moore (The Imitation Game)

My pick: I'm thinking Boyhood is going to sweep so Boyhood is my pick for this category. 

Best Original Score - Motion Picture
  • Alexandre Desplat (The Imitation Game)
  • Jóhann Jóhannsson (The Theory Of Everything) - Won
  • Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross (Gone Girl)
  • Antonio Sanchez (Birdman)
  • Hans Zimmer (Interstellar) - My Pick

My pick: I'm going to go with Hans Zimmer, if for no other reason than his previous work.

Best Original Song - Motion Picture
  • Big Eyes
  • Selma - My Pick, Won
  • Noah
  • Annie
  • The Hunger Games: Mockingjay, Part 1

My pick: John Legend and Common's song from Selma. You can listen to all of the songs on this page if you too didn't know them.

All right, there you have it - my picks for the 2015 Golden Globes. I'll come back to this to do a retrospective in the near future.
But, what do you think? Please leave a comment with your thoughts.
Thanks for reading!

Edit: Alright: eight out of fourteen. Not quite spot on at all but I'm content. I believe it was my Oscar picks from last year were all completely wrong. Yay for progress!

The awards made me feel that I should watch Boyhood, Birdman, and How To Train Your Dragon 2. I was particularly surprised by the animated award. I, incorrectly, assumed that a sequel couldn't possibly be much good, let alone Golden Globe worthy. Then again, it wasn't that good but it was marginally better than the other animated movies for this year.


No comments:

Post a Comment