Monday, July 27, 2015

WWE Smackdown (7/21/15)

Bottom line: This one WWE Smackdown filled my professional wrestling quota for the lifetime.
1.5/4

I know WWE Smackdown isn’t a movie but I wanted to write about it because, after watching it the other day, I was left perplexed. It’s a moral can of worms that I hesitate to open.

WWE stands for World Wrestling E-something, it’s not to be confused with what I think is its main competitor, WWF (World Wrestling Federation). This type of “wrestling” is the type that includes Hulk Hogan, Andrei the Giant, John Cena, and Dwayne Johnson (when he was known as The Rock).

WWE Smackdown came to Lincoln, Nebraska. I remember WWE and WWF were huge when I was in elementary school and the tickets were cheap so we decided to check it out. The show started at 7:00pm and lasted until about 10:00pm. I expected there to be like two matches but there was closer to half a dozen. It makes sense. Despite this being mostly all show, it’s still physically taxing. There are lots of acrobatic movies.

Each match had a good guy and a bad guy with each having their own intro sequence, backstory, and chant. When everyone was chanting something it was kinda fun. Silly, certainly, but fun. Unfortunately, there wasn’t enough to keep the crowd going at all times.

There was no music during the matches, there were no announcers or commentators (they pipe that into the TV broadcasts apparently), and the wrestlers weren’t mic’d so when they spoke to each other we couldn’t hear what they were saying. It would’ve been a lot more fun if there were something consistently hyping up the crowd.

The cast of characters included several obligatory stereotypes. The fire-red haired Sheamus was from Dublin, Ireland. The Lucha Dragons spoke Spanish. Rusev was Bulgarian so he filled the role of Eastern European.

As this event was broadcasted live on the WWE Network during the interim of each match there was a five-minute or so commercial break during which we were shown commercials for upcoming WWE events. Let me tell you, after the tenth time that the WWE Summer Slam is coming, I got a little tired of hearing it.

The moral can of worms to which I alluded to early requires some backstory. This is based on what I picked up or what we were shown. KO (Kevin Owens) is the name of one wrestler. The previous week, he was in a 3vs3 match. Facing defeat, he walked away from the match. He came onstage this particular evening to justify his actions. “I have a family to care about,” he explained, “I am not going to risk sustaining a career ending injury just for the sake of a stupid fight.” As an outside observer, it seemed reasonable to me.

Fast forward to the main event of the evening, the current world heavyweight champion was going to face a more inexperienced Swiss wrestler name Cesaro. During the pre-match interview, Cesaro says that ever since he was a child he dreamed of coming to America to become a professional wrestler, “I haven’t spent Christmas with my family in 11 years but it’s worth it because I’m following my dream. I’m going to prove that the American Dream still exists!” Suddenly, KO comes out, takes the microphone and says, “Boo hoo! Why should we feel bad for you? You abandoned your family to pursue your own selfish goals.” To avoid an ethics debate, Cesaro retorted with, “Oh yeah? Like you abandoned your last two matches?!” The two parted ways and the match began.

Again, I thought KO’s statement was perfectly valid but as I came to understand doing anything that could be construed as cowardly is of the worst offences in the WWE world.

There was a “Diva Match” which was a tag team match between two pairs of scantily clad women. It wasn’t quite what I expected and I don’t really know how to take it. They gave the same pre-match hype speeches as the male wrestlers, they did the same moves, and they wore similarly bedazzled outfits. It didn’t seem like they were being actively sexualized like I anticipated. Their hair and physical structure was similar to the guys in that everyone is an action figure. Granted, there were some male wrestlers were looked pretty pudgy but, there were still lots that I couldn’t imagine walking around in real life. There were tons of women and girls cheering for the divas too. This brings me to my next point, the demographic.

There were a ton of kids! I didn’t think this was such a family based event. Though, in retrospect, it explains why there was no real profanity. I think the worst thing that was said was by a villain who bellowed, “Your ass…is…mine!” It also explains the style of insult chants for the villains. For “New Day” instead of saying the slogan “New Day rocks!” everyone chanted, “New Day sucks!” For Sheamus, the chant was “You look stu-pid,” in reference to his red Mohawk.

During the Rusev vs. somebody else match, it was particularly odd because if Rusev was losing, people would chant some chant I couldn’t understand but if he was winning people would chant for his competitor by saying “U S A!” I didn’t know who was the good and who was the bad guy!

It’s a spectacle passing as a sport if there ever was such a thing. First, would I recommend this? Eh. Not really. Would I ever take children to see this? I don’t know. There was a basic theme of good vs. bad but I don’t know if I agree with the definitions of good and bad (assuming I understand them). At the same time, the violence is mild compared to videogames; there is no blood and each “hit” results in a pause for the wrestler to respond with a demonstration of pain (thereby given each other a chance to catch their breath). I think I’d error on the side of caution and pass.

I can maybe see some of the appeal. It can be exciting (there were fireworks in some of the intros). Each of the characters has a backstory to be explored and a chant to be learned. There is a sense of community when cheering for a hero or booing a villain. It’s just not my cup of tea.

Instead of thinking about it more, I’ll probably just pack it in a box and store it somewhere indefinitely, like they do with the Ark of the Covenant at the end of Indian Jones: Raiders of the Lost Ark.


What do you think? Please leave a comment below with your thoughts! Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment