Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Thoughts on Spoilers...

When discussing movies, there's always the subject of spoilers. The discussion includes not only whether or not they are ok, but the definition of a spoiler.

In the case of my brother-in-law, unless a movie is out for a couple of years, spoilers are of the worst crimes. 'Bruce Willis is dead in The Sixth Sense' is fair game, for example, but he wouldn't be okay with something like 'The ending of The Cabin in the Woods has that whole hand-thing...' (I tried to think of something only mildly offensive for the sake of discussion).

I, on the other-hand, believe that it isn't about the ending, it is about the journey. I took some film classes in school and spoilers are one of the first things you get over. To have a discussion about a film or to read papers about a film, it is assumed you have seen it so there are no such things as spoilers.

I say this, I suppose, as something of a disclaimer for what I write on this blog. I will try not to tell you anything unless it is relevant for the discussion.

Do let me know if you object to them and maybe I will try to watch what I reveal about a movie.

Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment